광고 / Ad

[국무조정실][모두발언] 정세균 국무총리 외신기자 정책토론회

btn_textview.gif

Opening Remarks at Foreign Correspondents Press Conference
 ? January 27, 2021, Korean Press Center-

Good afternoon, members of the Seoul Foreign Correspondents’ Club. It is my pleasure to meet you.
The media has been referred to as a mirror and window of society. If our domestic press acts as a mirror that reflects ourselves back to us, the foreign press offers a window of communication that opens onto the world.
I hope that today we further open wide that window of communication, conversing with the whole world as it becomes one through those bonds.
Ten months have passed since we last met in March. I would like to thank Director Park Jung-youl of the Korean Culture and Information Service and all those who have made possible today’s valuable conversations.
At the moment, the world lives in the shadow of COVID-19. As I offer consolation to the many people around the world still suffering right now, allow me to also send a message of hope and camaraderie: Let us help one another and join forces to overcome this collective crisis.
 “The world is now one. That belief will save the world.”
A full year and a week have passed since the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Korea.
Over the past year, the Korean people once again bore witness to a Korea that grows stronger in crisis. Through the spirit of compromise and consideration for others, Koreans have come together as one to overcome hardship.
The Korean people have acted as a trustworthy partner of the government, supplementing its shortcomings through individual sacrifice, dedication, solidarity, and cooperation. Korea’s disease control and prevention efforts have come to the attention of the world only because each and every citizen served as an active participant.
Such partnership between the government and its people had a positive impact on economy as well. When many countries locked up their doors, we opted for opening them wide. As a result, Korea managed to record minus one percent economic growth in 2020 amid the global economic crisis. Despite negative growth, it is expected to be hailed as the best performance among the OECD members. Such achievement was made thanks to the joint efforts of the Korean people. Upon this opportunity, allow me to express my deepest appreciation and respect to my fellow citizens.
Over the past year, the foreign press have taken a keen interest in Korea's disease control and prevention measures and introduced them to the world.
Sometimes in praise and encouragement, sometimes in counsel and reproach, the foreign media have accompanied Korea on its journey to overcoming the COVID-19 crisis.
For example, last September, the Wall Street Journal featured the success of Korea’s COVID-19 countermeasures, introducing them to countries all over the world.
In particular, the large-scale general election in April and the CSAT college entrance exams in November of last year received special interest and positive coverage in the foreign media.
At the time, BBC’s correspondent Laura Bicker, who is here with us today wrote, and here I quote:
“There are fears that holding an election could trigger a second wave of infections across the country. But for now, South Korea is once again determined to prove what is possible during this pandemic.”
Thank you, Ms. Biker.
“K-quarantine,” a term coined by the foreign press, highlights the achievements of the Korean people, but it is thanks to all of you here that it has become widely known to the world. As such, you too have taken part in “K-quarantine.” As Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea, I am deeply grateful for your contributions.
How about giving a big round of applause to one another in appreciation and encouragement? (applause)
Yes, thank you.
Korea is doing its utmost in hopes of bringing the COVID-19 situation to a close within the year.
Starting next month, both vaccines and treatments will be available. The government aims to complete vaccinations by November and develop herd immunity.
Director General Jerome Kim of the International Vaccine Institute has projected that “Korea’s vaccination rate will be faster than other countries despite its relatively late start.”
In order to make his encouraging prediction a reality, our government will strive to distribute vaccines and treatments as quickly as possible, even as we scrutinize their safety and efficacy with the greatest care.
At the same time, Korea will strengthen its cooperation with the international community. In doing so, we will transparently share with the world our process of defeating the virus. Just as Korea's COVID-19 screening technology and experiences contributed to the global endeavor against the pandemic, I hope its treatment and vaccination program will do the same.
While our time together today is short, I would like to take this opportunity to converse candidly with you about Korea’s disease control and prevention measures, economy, peace on the Korean Peninsula, and how Korea will handle the challenges that lie ahead.
This year, the Korean government will do its best to overcome the pandemic, restore normalcy to people’s daily lives, promote economic recovery, reduce inequality, and create a better nation where everyone prospers together.
I would like to ask that you continue to support us on our shared journey as you have done so far.
The Korean government will never forget the warm friendship that you, the foreign correspondents, have offered us. And we in turn aspire to return that friendship as a helping hand outstretched to the world.
Knock, knock! I am here knocking at your windows. Please do open them.
Thank you.

국무총리 초청 외신기자 정책토론회 모두발언
1월 27일(수) 15:00 한국프레스센터 10층
존경하는 외신기자 여러분, 반갑습니다.
언론은 우리 사회의 거울과 창(窓)이라고 합니다.
국내 언론이, 우리 스스로를 비추어 보는 거울이라면,
외신은 소통을 통해 세계로 나아가는 열린 창(窓)입니다.
저는 오늘 이 시간을 통해, 그 소통의 창이 더욱 활짝 열려
세계와 함께 대화하고, 그 힘으로 우리가 하나가 되길 소망합니다.
지난해 3월 여러분을 뵙고, 10개월 만에 다시 뵙습니다.
여러분과 또 한 번 대화할 수 있는 귀한 자리를 마련해주신
해외문화홍보원 박정렬 원장님을 비롯한 관계자 여러분께 감사드립니다.
지금 지구는 코로나19와 함께 살아가고 있습니다.
이 시각에도 고통을 겪고 계신 수많은 세계인께 위로와 아울러, 
서로 돕고 힘을 모아 인류가 처한 위기를
함께 극복하자는 동지애와 희망의 말씀을 전합니다.
“세계는 이제 하나입니다. 그 믿음이 세계를 구할 것입니다.”
대한민국에서도 코로나19 확진자가 발생한 지
꼬박 1년하고 1주일이 지났습니다.
지난 1년 우리 국민은 ‘위기 속에서 더 강해지는 대한민국’을
다시 한번 확인하는 시간이었습니다.
우리 국민은 양보와 배려의 마음으로 하나가 되어, 어려움을 이겨왔습니다.
우리 국민은 정부의 부족한 부분을 개인의 희생과 헌신,
연대와 협력으로 든든히 채워 주셨습니다.
K-방역이 세계의 주목을 받을 수 있었던 것은
오로지 국민 한 분 한 분이
적극적으로 실천해주신 참여 방역 덕분입니다.
국민 여러분의 참여와 방역은 경제에서도 빛을 발휘했습니다.
많은 나라들이 국경을 걸어 잠글 때,
우리는 개방을 선택했습니다.
그 결과, 세계적인 경제 위기 속에서도
‘20년 한 해 ?1.0%의 경제성장을 기록했습니다.
역성장이 아쉽지만,
OECD 회원국 중 가장 높은 성장률이 될 것으로 전망됩니다.
모두 우리 국민들과 함께 이뤄낸 결과입니다.
마음 깊숙이 감사와 존경을 담아 보냅니다.
지난 1년 동안 외신은 대한민국의 방역에
깊은 관심을 갖고, 세계에 널리 알려왔습니다.
때로는 칭찬과 격려로, 때로는 조언과 질책으로
대한민국의 코로나 위기 극복의 여정에 동행해 왔습니다.
예컨대, 작년 9월 미국의 Wall Street Journal은 한국의 K-방역 성공을 대서특필하며, 그 해법을 세계 각국에 소개해주었습니다.
특히, 대규모로 치러진 4월 총선과 11월 수능시험에 대한 
외신들의 관심과 긍정적인 보도가 이어졌습니다.
이 자리에도 계신 BBC 한국 특파원 로라 비커 기자는 이렇게 전했습니다.
“이번 선거가 코로나19의 국내 재확산을 촉발할지 모른다는 두려움이 있지만, 현재로선 한국이 이번 팬데믹 속에 무엇이 가능한지를 또 한 번 증명하려는 듯하다”  로라 비커, 감사해요. 
외신에서 이름 붙여 준 K-방역은 우리 국민의 성과지만,
K-방역이 세계에 널리 알려진 것은 여기 계신 여러분 덕분입니다.
따라서 여러분 역시 K-방역의 참여자입니다.
대한민국 국무총리로서 여러분의 공로에 깊이 감사드립니다.
칭찬과 격려의 뜻에서 서로에게
힘찬 박수 한 번 보내주는 것은 어떻습니까?
네, 감사합니다.
올해 대한민국은 코로나19 방역을
마무리 짓기 위해 최선을 다하고 있습니다.
다음 달부터 우리는 백신과 치료제를 함께 사용할 수 있게 됩니다.
정부는 오는 11월까지 백신접종을 마무리하고,
집단 면역을 형성하는 것을 목표로 하고 있습니다.